Browsing by Author "Bica, Ovidiu"
Now showing 1 - 6 of 6
Results Per Page
- ItemA conceptual model for a smart attendance system aimed at strengthening safety and security measures in schools(ICI, 2020-06-30) Bica, OvidiuThe demand for ensuring and strengthening safety and security measures is constantly growing, requiring personalized monitoring of children throughout the school program. The education system should place greater emphasis on the presence and monitoring of students during the school year. A strong tracking system and managing and tracking student attendance can help improve safety and security in schools. Based on the analysis of the literature in the field, the author briefly presented notions related to RFID (RadioFrequency Identification), the benefits of this technology, and a conceptual model of an RFID presence monitoring system developed on an IoT platform. It is expected that the results obtained by using this system will be able to support the processing of school data, to automatically generate accurate statistical data and to be able to reduce data manipulation. The application will allow the permanent visualization of students’ presence by parents and teachers and their warning if the presence of students reaches a critical value, which is an element of novelty.
- ItemAssistive technologies for the care of the elderly. Current approaches(ICI Publishing House, 2019-12-20) Bica, OvidiuThe present paper presents some of the results obtained by the research team of the project "Noninvasive monitoring system and health assessment of the elderly in an intelligent environment (ROSmartAgeing)", within the Core Program. Worldwide, multiple systems for monitoring the health of the elderly have been developed. Based on the analysis of the literature in the field, the author briefly presents concepts related to IoT, protocols and benefits of IoT technology, the impact on the elderly, assistive technologies for monitoring current activities and lifestyle. These are the support for the development of a system of care for the elderly by monitoring the current activities and lifestyle.
- ItemConceptual Model of an IoT-based Enhanced Living Environment for Elderly(IBIMA, 2020) Bica, Ovidiu; Marinescu, Ion AlexandruThe world's population is aging and the number of elderly people is constantly growing. Healthcare systems need to be rethought to meet these challenges. With IoT technology, systems for monitoring the health of the elderly can be developed. RO-SmartAgeing, a remote health monitoring system based on IoT, is presented as a case study for the development of a smart living environment for elderly. There is no global standardization yet, thus developers have trouble setting up an efficient way to transmit, store, administer, secure and provide data from this smart environment. An IoT platform would solve these difficulties through the efficient and adequate management of medical devices, implemented with several technologies, protocols, microcontrollers, sensors, actuators belonging to different entities.
- ItemIoHT and Edge Computing, Warrants of Optimal Responsiveness of Monitoring Applications for Seniors. A Case Study(IEEE, 2019) Ianculescu, Marilena; Alexandru, Adriana; Nicolau, Dragoș Nicolae; Neagu, Gabriel; Bica, OvidiuThe global ageing population puts a burden on healthcare systems not only from the point of view of cost-related aspects, but also from the senior patients' point of view who tend to be predominately empowered regarding their own health management, digitally-skilled and demanding for personalized health protocols and solutions. Silver Digital Patients can be defined as seniors that master improved abilities of using digital technology in their daily activities, including in monitoring their health, who prove increased interest in having access to the best healthcare to preserve as much as possible their independence and health. An active, decent and safe life for seniors is at its best in their own homes; therefore, a remote health monitoring represents the most appropriate way to smooth the disruptive degenerative age-related factors, together with the important benefit of relieving the expenditures for senior institutionalizations. In this respect, emerging senior-centered technologies have the potential to provide a reliable support for building the most appropriate healthcare provision and environment. Internet of Health Things (IoHT) is a concept for a great variety of devices connected to the Internet that are able to gather a huge amount of diverse data - like health or environmental parameters - in order to keep a close remote watch on the patient, to improve the diagnose of his/her health status and to establish a better preventative healthcare. Edge computing brings the potential of improving the performance and responsiveness of IoHT by allowing the real-time collected data to be pre-processed closer to the source, which can be extremely important for time-sensitive health data in order to identify and trigger anticipatory or reactive health actions. This paper presents a case study -" Non-invasive monitoring and health assessment of the elderly in a smart environment (RO-SmartAgeing)" project - that evaluates the opportunities brought by IoHT and edge computing for a monitoring application. The general objective of this project is to demonstrate the potential of some emerging technology for the positive transformation of how healthcare services are provided to the seniors and to healthcare provider. According to its current development state, a proposed IoHT-based architecture of the monitoring application and a data analytics demo for a health parameter is presented.
- ItemSecurity and privacy risks for remote healthcare monitoring systems(IEEE, 2020) Ianculescu, Marilena; Coardoș, Dora; Bica, Ovidiu; Vevera, Adrian VictorRemote healthcare monitoring systems have increasingly become a reliable solution for delivering personalized, less intrusive and patient-friendly healthcare services. Internet of Things technology is an important driver for sustaining a large range of the capabilities of these systems, including the access to a huge amount of various health data. As this data are considered highly sensitive due to the personal feature, security and privacy threats and attacks are very likely to target the vulnerabilities of the IoT devices, network connectivity, data storage etc. This presents a brief overview of the vulnerabilities of the above-mentioned systems and a proposed solution for addressing them from the designing stage. For this purpose, a synthesis of security and privacy vulnerabilities, basic requirements and countermeasures associated distinctively with each level of the IoT-based architecture of RO-SmartAgeing system is put forward.
- ItemSmart citizen – a participatory co-creator for enhancing online public services(IEEE, 2019) Ianculescu, Marilena; Bica, Ovidiu; Balog, Alexandru; Cristescu, IrinaThe smart citizen is a citizen not only accustomed with the daily use of digital technology, but one who feels empowered and entitled to actively participate at designing and improving the online public services in his direct benefit and also for his city advantage. Smart technologies have become a compulsory driver for establishing a proper foundation inside a smart city. This paper focuses on presenting the smart citizen as an enabler of better online public services in the context of a smart city. For illustrating his participative role, a proposed functional architecture for enhancing online public services is put in.